In order for an insurance agent to legally sell insurance in a state, he or she must be licensed. If the agent does not have a license to work in your state, it means that he or she is working illegitimately. Dealing with illegitimate insurance agents can result in financial loss. For that reason, you should always verify the agent's license before doing business.
Ask the agent for his insurance license number. If he or she does not have a license number, it is an indication that he is not legit.
Visit the Department of Insurance website for the state the agent is doing business in. Select the option to perform an agent search or license search. The exact wording will vary by state.
Enter the name of the insurance agent. If you have the license number, enter the license number as well. Click the “Search” option.
Review the search results to determine whether or not the agent has an active license to do business in the state. If the agent's name is not listed or if the status of his license is expired, it is an indication that the agent is working fraudulently.
Call the Department of Insurance if you don't have Internet access. Request to speak with someone in the licensing division. Once you provide the agent's name or license number, the licensing division will advise you whether or not the insurance agent is licensed to do business in our state.
- Budget Life: A Buyer's Guide To Avoiding Life Insurance Fraud
- Insurance Providers: How Do You Know if a Life Insurance Company or Agent is Legitimate
- Georgia Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner: Agent Search
- Arizona Department of Insurance: License Search
- Texas Department of Insurance: Insurance Licensing Search and Renewal
- Autoinsurance.org "Can I Have Auto Insurance From a Different State Than the State I Live In?" Accessed Oct. 23, 2020.
Faizah Imani, an educator, minister and published author, has worked with clients such as Harrison House Author, Thomas Weeks III, Candle Of Prayer Company and "Truth & Church Magazine." Her dossier includes JaZaMM WebDesigns, assistant high-school band director, district manager for the Clarion Ledger and event coordinator for the Vicksburg Convention Center.