Child care expenses may be on the rise, but child care tax breaks are a blessing. In order to claim these tax credits, you must obtain the tax identification number, or TIN, for your child care provider. This will help verify any documentation stating the amount paid to the provider and determine if you qualify for your tax credit under government guidelines.
Contact your child care provider's accounting department or payroll department. These departments may be one and the same and will have the information you need. If the facility refuses to provide you with the company tax identification number upon request, you can still try to claim the child care tax credit, but you will have to attach a statement of due diligence detailing the steps you took to try to obtain their Social Security Number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN), or TIN.
Call your state's local 800 service. Some states offer an 800 number that will give you tax identification numbers of any business. Just have the facility address, name and child care director's name handy. To find your local 800 number, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or visit the website of your state's Department of Public Health.
Contact your local IRS office by mail or phone. Addresses and phone numbers can be obtained by visiting the IRS website and locating the state where the child care provider is registered. From here, you can navigate the locator tool to find the contact information for your local Taxpayer Assistance Center, or TAC. It can give you the provider's tax identification number.
Look over your child care receipts. Some child care facilities will have their tax IDs printed or handwritten on your weekly receipts. Also, at the end of the year, most providers will give you a copy of your yearly child care payments, and this will also contain the provider's tax ID number. According to the IRS, for child care providers without a Federal Employment Identification Number (FEIN), use their SSN instead. This will likely be the case with individual child care providers who are not part of a child care facility.
Read More: Child Tax Credit: What It Is and How to Qualify
Remember, if a child care provider does not have a tax ID number, you can still claim your child care credits on your taxes, but you will have to attach a statement of due diligence.
Never hire a provider that is not licensed and does not have a valid tax ID number.
- California Department of Education: Child Care Reporting--Employer Identification
- IRS: Contact Your Local IRS Office
- Sapling: How to Find a Tax ID Number for a Licensed Daycare Provider
- Malik, Rasheed. Center for American Progress. "Working Families Are Spending Big Money on Child Care." Accessed Jan. 30, 2020.
- Child Care Aware of America. "Paying for Child Care." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Child Care Aware of America. "State by State Resources." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Child Care Aware America. "CCR&R Search Form." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. "Office of Head Start." Accessed Jan. 30, 2020.
- ChildCare.gov. "Military Child Care Fee Assistance Programs." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- KinderCare. "Support for Military & Federal Families." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Internal Revenue Service. "Topic No. 602 Child and Dependent Care Credit." Accessed Jan. 30, 2020.
- Care.com. "Is a Nanny Share Right for You?" Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Care.com. "Child Care Co-ops 101." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Wilkie, Dana. Society for Human Resource Management. "Paying to Fly Nannies on Work Trips? Companies Get Creative with Child Care Benefits." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- The Outline. "The Fortune 100 Companies That Offer On-Site Day Care to Employees." Accessed March 13, 2020.
Sharin Griffin has been a freelance writer since 2009, specializing in health-related articles. She has worked in the health-care industry as a certified nursing assistant and medical technician. Griffin's medical expertise encompasses bariatrics and geriatric care, with an emphasis on general medicine. She is completing an associate degree in health-care administration from Axia University.