Donating toys to a charity can make a child's day, month or even year. But before you make a donation, research where and how to donate toys to charities in South Florida.
Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots is a program started by the U.S. Marine Corps that encourages the donation of new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December of each year. Volunteers distribute toys to needy children each holiday season.
Toys for Tots sets up drop off locations across the country each October. The Hialeah/Miami branch coordinates toy collections in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, while the West Palm Beach branch coordinates the Palm Beach County drop off points.
Miami Children's Hospital Foundation
The Miami Children's Hospital Foundation gladly accepts donations of new, unwrapped toys. The toys are distributed among the children receiving treatment at the hospital. A "wish list" of toys for the children can be found on the foundation's website. This list is not exhaustive; the hospital will gladly accept all toys or gifts that are new and unwrapped. You can drop donations off at Miami Children's Hospital all year long.
Ronald McDonald House Charities
Ronald McDonald House Charities support sick children and their families. Through their Toy and Food Donation Program, you can drop new toys off at any local chapter and they will donate them to their resident children. There are chapters in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
- Toys for Tots
- Miami Children's Hospital Foundation: Gift and Toy Donations
- Ronald McDonald House Charities: Toy and Food Donation Program
- USA Today. "Toys R Us timeline: History of the nation's top toy chain." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNN Money. "Group to buy Toys 'R' Us for $6.6B." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Reuters. "Toys 'R' Us plans to close all U.S. stores; 33,000 jobs at risk: source." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us tries for a comeback a year after going out of business." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Tru Kids Brands. "Toys 'R' Us opens the doors to its first new U.S. store." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us stores closed on Friday, leaving behind nostalgia, anger and maybe a chance of revival." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- MarketWatch. "Toys 'R' Us to raise $800 million in biggest U.S. IPO this year." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Reuters. "Toys R Us withdraws proposed initial public offering." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Forbes. "Toys 'R' Us Hires New CEO With A Rich IPO Resume In David Brandon." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Fortune. "Toys ‘R’ Us Is Closing 180 U.S. Stores After Declaring Bankruptcy." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- MGA Entertainment. "Isaac Larian Puts in Official Bid to Save Toys 'R' Us." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNN Business. "Bratz maker gives up on Toys 'R' Us." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- North Jersey. "Toys R Us opens 'new' kind of store, with its first US location in Garden State Plaza." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Tru Kids Brands. "Target to Power Toys 'R' Us Shopping Experience." Accessed May 8, 2020.
Laura Binder has been writing professionally since 2005. Her work has been featured in the South Florida Sun Sentinel, as well as the Daily Northwestern, the official newspaper of Northwestern University. She has a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northwestern University, with a minor in political science.