Toys provide children hours of imaginative fun and entertainment. If you have a house full of toys, it can be hard to imagine that there are children who have none. There are several organizations in the state of New Jersey that are dedicated to providing toys to children in need. If you have more toys than your kids know what to do with or even want to purchase new toys for needy children, consider donating to a local charity so other children may share the joy.
Drop off gently used toys at a Second Chance location near you. Drop-off centers are located in Scotch Plains, Westfield, Monmouth Junction and Mountainside. Used plastic and operational electronic toys are accepted during the months of April, November and December.
Visit the Vietnam Veterans of America website to find a local chapter accepting toy donations for resale in the VVA thrift shops. There are donation centers located in cities throughout New Jersey, including Bordentown, Bayonne, New Brunswick, Elizabeth, Wildwood and more.
Donate used children’s books in good condition to local hospitals, doctors and dentists through the Reach Out and Read program. Access a list of participating medical centers at the Reach Out and Read website. If you live in or near Rumson, used children’s books can also be donated through the Bridge of Books foundation. Call to arrange a pick up or drop off.
Access the Donation Town website to request a pickup of donated items, including used toys and stuffed animals. Enter your zip code and schedule a pickup online. Toys will be disbursed to local charities who are currently accepting used toy donations.
Visit the Child’s Play website to donate new toys to patients at the Children’s Hospital of Newark and the Children's Specialized Hospital of New Jersey. Select the hospital from the interactive map. Choose toys from the available wish list and purchase the items online with a credit card through Amazon. Toys will be shipped directly to the hospital.
Search for a Toys for Tots donation location in your area to donate brand new toys to needy children for the holidays. Access the Toys for Tots website and enter your state and city to find a location near you. Toy donations are accepted during the months of October, November and December each year.
Prepare toys for donation if they have previously been used. Clean surfaces with soap and warm water. Secure any loose parts. Install new batteries if the toy is battery-operated.
Be sure to obtain a receipt for all items donated to charity. Charitable donations are tax-deductible items and a receipt is required in order to claim the deduction on your annual income tax return.
- Marine Toys for Tots Foundation: Frequently Asked Questions
- Donation Town: Donate Toys to Charity - Nationwide Pickup
- Pick Up Please: New Jersey Toys Donation Pick Up Service
- parenthoodnj.com: Helping Children in Need
- Bridge of Books Foundation: How You Can Bring Books Into a Child's World
- USA Today. "Toys R Us timeline: History of the nation's top toy chain." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNN Money. "Group to buy Toys 'R' Us for $6.6B." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Reuters. "Toys 'R' Us plans to close all U.S. stores; 33,000 jobs at risk: source." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us tries for a comeback a year after going out of business." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Tru Kids Brands. "Toys 'R' Us opens the doors to its first new U.S. store." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNBC. "Toys R Us stores closed on Friday, leaving behind nostalgia, anger and maybe a chance of revival." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- MarketWatch. "Toys 'R' Us to raise $800 million in biggest U.S. IPO this year." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Reuters. "Toys R Us withdraws proposed initial public offering." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Forbes. "Toys 'R' Us Hires New CEO With A Rich IPO Resume In David Brandon." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Fortune. "Toys ‘R’ Us Is Closing 180 U.S. Stores After Declaring Bankruptcy." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- MGA Entertainment. "Isaac Larian Puts in Official Bid to Save Toys 'R' Us." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- CNN Business. "Bratz maker gives up on Toys 'R' Us." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- North Jersey. "Toys R Us opens 'new' kind of store, with its first US location in Garden State Plaza." Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Tru Kids Brands. "Target to Power Toys 'R' Us Shopping Experience." Accessed May 8, 2020.
Brandi Palkoner brings a refreshing voice to the world of freelance writing. She is a member of Freelance Writers Association. Her lifelong love affair with words began at the early age of 3, when she first learned to read.