How to Change the Fiduciary Name On Veterans' Benefits

A fiduciary for the Veterans Administration is someone who represents veterans who cannot manage their own benefits. VA-designated fiduciaries generally receive the veteran's funds and use those funds for the veteran's care and needs. They also make sure the veteran’s information, such as address, phone number and change in income, is kept up-to-date. Usually, a fiduciary is a family member or friend who has completed the VA's fiduciary certification process, although there are professional fiduciaries as well. Sometimes, a veteran might need to replace a fiduciary.

Submit a request letter containing the veteran’s name and VA file number to your closest VA regional office (see Resources) if you are a family member or friend wanting to serve as a beneficiary’s fiduciary. Explain your relationship to the veteran in your request and why you feel qualified to serve as her fiduciary. Submit a resume with a cover letter if you are a professional seeking to serve as a fiduciary.

Attend the interview the VA sets for you to discuss more about you serving as a fiduciary. Your interview will examine your willingness to abide by the rules of being a fiduciary and will be conducted by a VA representative. You must also consent to a review of your credit report, as well as a criminal background check.

Supply the VA with character witnesses who can attest to your character. The number of character witnesses the VA requests varies based upon your criminal background as well as how well you did in the interview. Character witnesses may be family members, but they are discouraged as they might appear biased. Fellow coworkers, employers and professors serve as good character witnesses.


  • You may also mail your request letter or resume to the following email address for a quicker response:


  • Never use or borrow the funds of a beneficiary if you are selected as the fiduciary because you will lose your fiduciary privileges if you do.