Does the IRS Accept Federal Tax Returns by Fax or Email?

by Neil Kokemuller
Correspondence and other communication with the IRS is possible through email or fax.

You cannot fax or email your annual income tax return. According to the IRS website, the most common option for filing as of January 2014 is electronic filing, or e-filing. Alternatively, you can submit your return through the traditional snail mail route by printing it out and mailing it in.

Communicating with the IRS

In some cases, taxpayers may need to communicate with the IRS for reasons related to their returns. The IRS might send a mail audit request, for instance, seeking copies of documents. In some instances, you might be able to fax or email certain papers to the requesting office. When filing, though, e-filing leads to the fastest turnaround on refunds and is fairly efficient to complete with online tax preparation software.

About the Author

Neil Kokemuller has been an active business, finance and education writer and content media website developer since 2007. He has been a college marketing professor since 2004. Kokemuller has additional professional experience in marketing, retail and small business. He holds a Master of Business Administration from Iowa State University.

Photo Credits

  • Christopher Robbins/Photodisc/Getty Images