How to Endorse an Insurance Check for Diminished Value Claim

If you have successfully received a check from an insurance company for a diminished value (DV) claim, you've already done most of the work. DV is difficult to prove to an insurance company, and settlements of this type are often disputed, sometimes ending in court. According to the Insurance Consumer Advocate Network, DV is owed to third-party claimants whose vehicles were damaged by an insurer's customer, but only Georgia, Kansas and North Carolina require insurers to compensate their own customers for damage of this type. After the hassle of proving your DV claim, endorsing and cashing the check should seem easy.

Identify all parties listed as payee on the settlement check. Typically this will be the owner (you) and any lienholder, such as a bank or credit union.

Contact the other payees and advise them of the need to obtain an endorsement for the check. Follow the instructions they give you.

Sign the check yourself once the other required signatures are obtained.

Deposit the check into your bank.


  • If you received the DV settlement check as a third-party claimant, the check may not list your lienholder even if one exists. If this is the case, there is no need to contact your lienholder. Simply endorse the check yourself.


  • Many banks and credit unions will not endorse insurance checks. Attempt to resolve this by explaining that the check is for diminished value and not for vehicle repairs. If this still does not work, you may need to satisfy your loan and then ask the insurance company to re-issue the DV check with only your name as payee.