How to Endorse Insurance Checks With Co-Payees

Insurance checks issued to you are sometimes made payable to a second person or institution. This is especially true if you have a mortgage on the home. The second payee is often the bank. Without the bank's signature, you won't receive any of the money. The check cannot be cashed. You must get the permission of the other payee named on the check to receive the money. This money might be for a mortgage insurance or for homeowner's insurance claim.

Turn the check over and sign the check on the reverse above the line on the back of the check. You should see a place to endorse the check with your signature.

Take the check to the other payee. If it is a financial institution, you must take the check to the financial institution and have a manager authorized to endorse payments to sign the check.

Deposit the check into your account with the financial institution. In most cases, you will be depositing the check into the account at the bank or lending institution which is also listed as the co-payee.


  • You can try endorsing the check with just your signature and depositing the check into your checking account. However, if the check is made out to both you "and" another person or institution as opposed to you "or" another institution, the other payee's signature might be required by the bank you are depositing the funds into.