While gold is valued based on the market-determined price of refined raw gold, the form of your gold may increase in value beyond that price. Gold in the form of large nuggets or rare bars are more valuable than standard bars or small nuggets of gold.
Gold nuggets are naturally occurring pieces of gold whose rarity increases drastically with size. Because of this rarity, gold nuggets always cost more than their gold content.
Gold bars are any cast or minted gold made by a recognized manufacturer. Different types of minted bars are available that vary in purity, but they are all generally valued at a premium lower than their pure gold content.
While gold nuggets are generally more valuable than gold bars, particularly if they are large and rare nuggets, if your gold bar is a rare gold coin it could be worth more than a gold nugget. If, however, you own a standard gold bar, a gold nugget is more valuable.
- Gold-Nuggets: Today's Gold Prices
- Gold Bars Worldwide: Definitions - Bar Types
- Gold Bars Worldwide. "Gold to Go Vending Machines," Page 1. Accessed July 31, 2020.
- The London Bullion Market Association. "The Guide: An Introduction to the Global Precious Metals OTC Market 2017," Page 18. Accessed July 31, 2020.
- United States Mint. "American Eagle 2020 One Ounce Gold Proof Coin." Accessed July 31, 2020.
Based in California, Melissa Poulsen has been writing since 2010. She writes general knowledge and arts-and-entertainment articles for various online publications. Poulsen holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and creative writing from the University of San Francisco. She is pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in literature at the University of California, Santa Cruz.