How to Update or Correct Your Credit Score

••• Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

If you have a negative entry on your credit report, it is up to your creditor to change or correct it. Credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, TransUnion and Equifax do not have the authority to change information unless one of two things happen. The agencies must be authorized by the creditor to make the change. The agencies can also make the change if they do an investigation and the creditor fails to respond. If you have found a mistake on your credit report and you want to correct it, you must follow the procedures outlined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

Send a letter by certified mail to each of the credit reporting agencies that have incorrect information. Include a copy of any documentation supporting your claim that the data is inaccurate.
Save your certified mail receipt and a copy of the letter.

TRANSUNION TransUnion Consumer Solutions P.O. Box 2000 Chester, PA 19022-2000

EXPERIAN P.O. Box 2002 Allen, TX 75013

EQUIFAX Credit Information Services P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374

Send a letter by certified mail to the creditor that made the incorrect entry on your credit report. Include a copy of any documentation supporting your claim that the data is inaccurate. In the letter, request that the record be updated within 30 days. Let them know that failing to update this information within 30 days is a violation of FCRA.

Wait 30 days and check to see that your credit report is updated. If it isn't, send a second letter by certified mail to the credit reporting agency. Enclose a copy of the letter you sent to the creditor.

If your record still isn't updated and you have proof that they have made an incorrect claim against you, then you have the right to sue your creditor. FCRA protects you against unfair reporting and you can win in small-claims court if your information is accurate.


About the Author

This article was written by PocketSense staff. If you have any questions, please reach out to us on our contact us page.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images