How to Update an Address With the Post Office

How to Update an Address With the Post Office
••• mailbox image by palms from

The U.S. Postal Service gives you several ways to update your address when you move. You can quickly change your address online or by phone, or you can fill out a paper form and deliver it to your post office or mail carrier. The Postal Service recommends that you update your address two weeks prior to your move, although you can submit the form up to three months before moving.


Gather the information you need to complete the change-of-address request. You need your old address, your new address and a valid credit card. Your card will be charged $1 so the Postal Service can verify your address.

Type into your browser’s address bar. Read the privacy policy and click the “Click here to begin” button.

Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your request. You will receive an email confirmation after you complete the process, and you will receive another confirmation letter and welcome kit in the mail.

By Phone

Gather your old address, new address and a valid credit card number. Your card will be charged $1 to verify your address.

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to initiate your address change.

Follow the instructions to change your address. You will receive confirmation of the change in the mail.

In Person

Fill out the USPS change-of-address form (PS Form 3575). You can use the “print form” option at, ask your mail carrier to bring the form to your address or visit your local post office.

Return the change-of-address form to your local post office, give it to your mail carrier or drop it into a mailbox.

Wait for your confirmation letter and welcome packet, which will arrive in the mail.


  • If you do not receive any forwarded mail for 10 business days after your change of address goes into effect, call 1-800-ASK-USPS for help, recommends the U.S. Postal Service.

    Most of your mail will be forwarded to your new address for 12 months. Magazines and newspapers are forwarded for 60 days. Notify those who regularly send you mail of your new address.

    If some members of your household are not moving, fill out a separate change-of-address form for each person who is moving. If everyone in your family is moving, you can fill out just one form.