How to Update an Address With the IRS

by Bradley James Bryant ; Updated July 27, 2017
There's more than one way to update your address with the IRS.

Whether for business or personal reasons, moving can be a stressful event. In addition to packing and securing a new place to live, you have to worry about other issues like notifying your creditors and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your new address. The IRS provides a clear set of steps for changing and/or updating your address for future correspondence.

Step 1

Change the address directly on the label sent to you by the IRS. If the address label has your old address, correct the address on the mailing label and return it when you send in your tax return.

Step 2

Use Form 8822, the "Change of Address" form, to submit an updated address or name if you don't want to wait until you file for taxes or if you recently filed for taxes. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Step 3

Send the closest IRS office a letter with your updated address. Include your name, old and new addresses, social security number (or Employee Identification Number) and signature.

Step 4

Provide a verbal update. This may be the easiest option; however, it can only be done if the IRS agent calls you first.

Step 5

Submit a change of address at the local post office. The IRS uses the postal services' change of address files to update tax payer addresses.

About the Author

Working as a full-time freelance writer/editor for the past two years, Bradley James Bryant has over 1500 publications on eHow, and other sites. She has worked for JPMorganChase, SunTrust Investment Bank, Intel Corporation and Harvard University. Bryant has a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in finance from Florida A&M University.

Photo Credits