How to Update an Address on Equifax

How to Update an Address on Equifax
••• Philippe Gerber/Moment/GettyImages

If your address or something else is incorrect on your Equifax credit report, Equifax will investigate the situation and make any necessary changes free of charge. You can ask Equifax to investigate online or by mail. If your Equifax report is wrong, you may also want to make sure your creditors have your correct information and check with other credit bureaus as well.

Getting Your Credit Report

You can access your credit report from Equifax and from TransUnion and Experian, the other major credit reporting agencies, once a year for free. You can do this by mail or online at

Either way, if you spot any inaccuracies on your reports, whether your address, other contact information or the details of your various credit accounts, it's a good idea to ask the credit agencies to investigate and fix the mistakes.

Asking for an Investigation

You can ask Equifax to investigate anything incorrect you spot on your credit report. Generally, the company will get back to you within 30 days with the results of its investigation. You can either make the request online or by postal mail. If you're concerned about making sure the request arrives at Equifax, you can send it by certified mail, return receipt requested, to have documentation of when the company received your letter.

If you have documents that support your argument, whether about your address, how much money you owed a creditor or something else, you should include copies of them. Equifax will also forward the data on to the company that sent Equifax the wrong information.

If your request results in a change to your report, you can get a free copy of your report to verify the change. You can also ask that Equifax or another agency that made a correction send a copy of the revised report to anyone who's asked for your report in the past six months.

Following Up with Creditors

If your address or other information was wrong in your Equifax file, it is likely that Equifax got that information from one of your creditors. The company should be able to tell you where that incorrect information came from, but you can also follow up with any company shown on your credit report and make sure the information is correct.

If you're looking to update your contact information, you can often do that by phone or through an online banking site.

You may also wish to contact the other credit reporting bureaus to make sure the information is correct in their reports about you.