How to Track Lost Series EE Bonds

••• savings bonds image by Stephen VanHorn from <a href=''></a>

Losing a savings bond does not mean losing the money. The same government agency that issues the Series EE Bond also tracks lost bonds. All you have to do is ask Treasury Direct for help to track your lost savings bond by filling out and filing the right form. Using the Internet helps speed the process.

Go online to, click on "Forms," then click on "Savings Bond Forms" and either download Form 1048: "Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds" or request that Treasury Direct mail you a hard copy of the form. Although the form does not allow you to save information you fill out online, you may complete the form online and then print it out or print the form out and then fill it in.

Enter as much information on the form as you can, filling it out as completely as possible to speed processing of your claim. If you aren't sure about some details of the bond(s), provide as much information as you can about such things as the issue date, face amount and bond number, if you have that, along with the social security number, names and addresses on the bond(s).

Take the completed form to a bank to have the form certified. If you are not the owner, then you need to take a court certificate or certified copy of your letters of appointment, under court seal, to prove your appointment is still in effect, according to Treasury Direct. If the owner is deceased, then you need to take a certified copy of the death certificate.

Place the completed form into the envelope, affix the postage and mail it to the Treasury Department, Bureau of Public Debt, P.O. Box 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106.


  • If you have bond-related inquiries you can contact the Treasury Direct by email at, or by telephone at 304-480-7711.


About the Author

Jeanne Young began writing professionally in 2000. She was the government reporter for a daily newspaper in central Florida. Young has also covered general assignment and the business, health, science, environment and education beats for newspapers and a wire service, and written about money and politics. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of South Florida.

Photo Credits

  • savings bonds image by Stephen VanHorn from