How to Revoke Someone's Cash Bond

Cash bonds refer to a set amount of cash that someone pays the full bail for a suspect. It can be paid in cash or by credit or debit card. And it must be the exact amount the judge sets – not a penny more or less.

If you feel confident that a suspect will show up for every court appearance and follow all the terms the court sets, you can pay their cash bond. You can either pay it all or pay the required percentage, usually ​10 percent​ of the bail amount, to the bail bond company as the co-signer. The latter option makes the bail bondsman responsible should your loved one fail to appear in court.

When the case is resolved, your cash will be refunded, or your collateral will be returned.

What Are Cash Bonds For?

Bear in mind that cash-only bonds are usually set for suspects who have at least a moderate flight risk rating. And that means they may still flee, leaving you holding the bag – minus your money, of course.

As the indemnitor, you may have to repay the bail bond company the full amount, plus any other costs that accrue, such as those required to pay a bounty hunter. If you don’t, you risk losing your collateral.

Therefore, you need to learn how to get someone’s bond revoked. There may be a point at which that knowledge will come in handy.

What Is Bond Revocation?

Bond revocation happens when a suspect fails to adhere to the terms set by the court during their bail hearing. It may also occur when the suspect flees or gets arrested committing another crime while out on bail. As a result of their behavior, the bond is revoked, and they are taken to jail. They will then stay there until their next court appearance.

Should a bond get revoked, you are likely to forfeit the money you put up. Alternatively, you may need to pay the bail bondsman their share by giving up your collateral.

However, if the suspect goes missing, the bail bond company may be given time to bring him in, thus avoiding losing their funds. But you will likely be on the hook for those extra fees.

Read More:How to Resolve a Judgment

How to Revoke Someone’s Bond

Can you revoke a bond and get your money back? Yes, you may be able to do so if you have good reasons.

For example, if you discover your loved one lied about their role in the crime and they are guilty, you have a right to change your mind about the cash bond you put up. Also, if you find out the suspect intends to flee or is planning to commit a crime, those are great reasons for revoking their cash bond as well.

Nobody should blame you for changing your mind considering the financial responsibilities you may be forced to bear if your loved one breaks the rules. So, how should you go about it?

The simplest way to revoke someone’s bond is to contact the bail bond company. Inform them of your reasons for wanting to revoke someone’s cash bond. The company will then pursue your request via the courts. If the judge considers your concerns valid, the bond will be revoked and the defendant will be taken back to jail until arrangements are made later on.

After that, you will likely get your collateral back. However, the 10 percent premium is typically considered the bail bond company’s fee, which means you won’t see it again. Someone else can choose to be on the hook for the suspect in question if new bail arrangements are made, but it won’t be your problem anymore.

On the other hand, if you paid the full cash bond, you have to be the one that makes the legal arrangements. In that case, you need to consult a lawyer and revoke the cash bond process via the courts on your own.

Before you pay a cash bond for a loved one, consider your financial stability. The money you pay should be an amount you are willing to lose, just in case the suspect does not show up in court. If you are financially strained, you may want to consider other alternatives.

Read More:How to Reduce a Judgment