How to Request a Final Accounting for an Estate

In order to close out the estate of a loved one who has died, the executor or administrator must gather all assets to then pay off all debts prior to distributing remaining assets to beneficiaries. The probate courts assign a trustee to review and approve all elements of the estate closing. Final accounting reports with a reconciliation of assets must be filed with the court prior to final approval. All beneficiaries have a right to this report and can obtain one upon request if they did not receive one for any reason.

Look through your mail for all documents related to the probate filings. Executors are required to send beneficiaries a reconciliation of the estate. It is possible you have received it but it got lost in the mass of mail received; it is also possible that an executor innocently forgot to send one.

Call the executor and request it. If you feel that information is being intentionally withheld from you, send the letter via certified mail to document your request. Give the executor 30 days to comply with your request.

Go to the county courthouse where the probate petition was filed and the estate was formally discharged. File a request for documents, specifically the reconciliation of assets and accounting. Probate court maintains public records, and you should be able to obtain these for a nominal copying fee and a couple of hours spent at the courthouse records office.


  • If you feel the estate was not appropriately settled, or the executor is ignoring your requests, consult an attorney to know your beneficiary rights.