How to Get a Refund on a Western Union Money Order

How to Get a Refund on a Western Union Money Order
••• Witthaya Prasongsin/Moment/GettyImages

A Western Union money order is an alternative to checks that you can cash and deposit. These money orders are especially useful for people without a bank account. You can purchase one at any Western Union location. If you need a refund, however, you must request it by mail, email or fax. The company will issue a refund in certain situations if you can produce your money order or evidence of having had it.

Reasons for a Refund

You can request a refund for a Western Union money order if it hasn't been used or received, or if it is lost, damaged or stolen. You will receive a refund if the money order has not been used. If it has been used, you will receive a copy of the cashed money order for your records. When you make your request, you must provide documents such as receipts to prove you own the money order for which you are asking for a refund.

Request with Your Receipt

You can request a refund by completing the money order tracing-refund request at the back of the receipt attached to the money order, or by completing the money order customer request form, which you can download from Western Union's website. The forms ask for your name, address, money order number, date of purchase, amount, payee name, purchase location and the reason for your request. Complete and sign one of these forms and send it to the address provided, along with the $15 processing fee and the money order receipt. It typically takes 30 days for the company to process this type of request but it may be longer if you don't provide the receipt.

Requests with no Receipt

Complete the Money Order Research Request form if your money order or receipt has been misplaced, lost or stolen and you have no receipt. You can download this form from the Western Union website. Provide your name, address, amount, purchase location and date and payee name. Also, provide the number of additional money orders you might have purchased at the same time. When you send the form, include $30 for processing and any document that proves ownership, such as the store receipt or copies of the other money orders you purchased, if applicable. Include a police report if your money order was stolen. Processing takes six to eight weeks and a refund is not guaranteed. You must have this form notarized before you send it.

Payee Refund Requests

You can also request a refund if the money order has not been cashed. Send it, or a copy, along with a notarized affidavit stating that you are the intended payee, to Western Union Financial Services Inc., P.O. Box 7030, Englewood, Colorado 80155-7030. As of publication, you can also fax the documents to 1-720-864-0477 or email them to