How to Get a Refund on Property Tax Overpayment

Local governments calculate the property tax based on the value of your property. Typically, you can request a refund if there is an overage after the local tax office receives the full amount due for the year. If you live in a location that permits you to make payments on your tax bill, the tax office credits the overage to your next payment. Overpayment can occur because of a reduction in the value of your property after you paid your tax, calculation errors by the taxing department, a mistake by the taxpayer or double payment due to the taxpayer not realizing the lender paid the tax bill from an escrow account.

Contact your local tax collector's office to determine amount of tax owed. Ask the representative to look up how much you paid toward the tax to confirm any overpayment. If you live in a location that notifies you of an overage such as Montgomery County, Ohio, read the notice to learn the requirements for applying for a refund.

Request an application for a refund or a link to download an application.

Gather any documentation proving that you overpaid your property tax. This can include canceled checks, stamped receipts or your mortgage statement that shows your escrow information.

Complete the application and have it notarized if necessary. Tax collector offices such as in San Diego County, California require the seal of a notary public if the claim is over $500.

Mail the form to your local tax collector's office. Include any required proof with your application.


  • Make sure you sign and date your claim. Make copies of your application and documentation before mailing it.


  • You might lose your right to a refund if you do not place your claim within the time specified by your local tax collector's office.