How to Reduce Child Support Payments in Georgia

Child support payments are typically calculated based on the amount of time the noncustodial parent spends with the child and how much his income is. If one or both of these two circumstances change, you can file for a modification of your existing agreement. To modify a child support order in Georgia, the original order must have been issued there.

Complete the final disposition and filing information forms. These are required by Georgia law and can be obtained at your local courthouse. These forms contain statistical information that the courts use to compile information about the types of and number of cases in the legal system.

Complete the complaint for modification of child support. You can get these forms at your local courthouse, typically in the family law division. It may be able to help you fill them out if you have questions, or you can retain a lawyer. You are able to file for modification only once every two years. Make sure to correctly fill out the form and provide as much detail as you can about your change in circumstances.

Complete a verification form. You will need to have this notarized, which you can do at most libraries or mailing centers. You can also find a private notary public by looking in your local yellow pages.

Complete the required affidavit. The modification packet that you would have received contains two affidavits. The plaintiff affidavit is required. The second allows for an older child to chose which parent she wants to live with. This document will also need to be notarized.

Attach other documents, if necessary. You may wish to include a copy of your visitation schedule or other supporting documents.

Attach your financial documents. You will need to prove your income for a modification. Attach your tax returns, bank statements and pay stubs, along with any other relevant financial information. You will also need to complete the child support worksheet and attach that as well.

Pay the filing fee and submit the modification. The fee may vary, depending on which court system you are using, and there may be a waiver if you qualify. Make two copies of all of your documents and file one with the courthouse.

Wait for the results. In most cases, a judge will review the paperwork and issue a ruling. The other parent will have had an opportunity to respond. For more complicated cases, there may be a hearing, in which case it's ideal to hire an attorney if you can afford one.