How to Qualify as a Displaced Homemaker

The term "displaced homemaker" describes an individual who has worked primarily without remuneration to care for the home and family and who has been dependent on the income of another household member but is no longer receiving this support. Displaced homemakers who have been on public assistance but are no longer eligible for such assistance or who may be terminated from such assistance are also classified as displaced homemakers. The displaced homemaker may have limited marketable skills and need assistance to enter the workforce.

Complete an application through the department of employment and economic development, or similarly named department, in your state of residence. This department is responsible for displaced homemaker services.

Comply with the stipulated state requirements. Although states differ slightly in regard to their regulations, they all follow similar guidelines.

Present documentation to the agency from which you're seeking assistance indicating that you've provided unpaid household services for the years prior to the application. Each state has different time limits: Certain require at least two years; others go up to 10 years. Explain that you've lost your primary source of income and now find that you must support yourself and your family. This can be the result of any number of personal factors, including divorce, separation, desertion, death or a disability of a spouse or partner.

Demonstrate that you've tried to find gainful employment and that, although unsuccessful to date, efforts are still being made. This can be shown by keeping a record of job interviews, emails, resumes sent out or phone calls made to perspective employers. Become a member of a networking group and advertise your skills and abilities. Type up a list of all your activities and attach them to the displaced homemaker assistance application.

Explain in writing that you were receiving support from a spouse or other household member but are no longer doing so. If you've been receiving public assistance as the parent of minor children, explain that you're no longer eligible for that support or that the support will shortly be coming to an end

Substantiate your application for financial aid to qualify for a university scholarship through a displaced homemaker program. Age may be a factor in receiving a scholarship: Certain colleges stipulate a minimum age to be accepted as a student. State institutions of higher learning often request that you prove that you received no remuneration for the work you provided for your family in the home. There may be a limited time frame for this stipulation.

Explain that you were unable to find a job because of inadequate knowledge or training if you're applying for a financial scholarship as a displaced homemaker. Describe how you were receiving support for yourself and for your minor children, if any, till now, but will no longer be receiving such support.