The Procedure for Obtaining Employment History From the SSA

Your employment history is more important than you may realize. First, potential employers use it to learn your skillset and determine whether you are qualified for the jobs they are offering.

Also, you may be required to show your recent work history when applying for government benefits. For example, claimants of Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) were required to show their work history as part of the qualification process to prove they were out of jobs due to the pandemic.

In addition, some lenders, such as those offering mortgages, may ask you for your employment history, especially your earnings, before they decide whether to offer you a loan or not. And if you lie about some of the information, you will come across as untrustworthy and may get into trouble.

For all these reasons, you may want to learn the procedure for obtaining a lifetime detailed earning statement. The great news is that the Social Security Administration (SSA) can provide your employment history if you ask for it.

What Is an SSA Itemized Statement of Earnings?

An SSA itemized statement of earnings is a document issued by the institution showing your earnings activity for a specified period. It includes the names and addresses of your previous employers. But you or your legal representative must authorize the SSA to release that information.

You can use it when claiming benefits, asking for loans or providing your employer with your personal information if they need it. In this case, an SSA itemized statement of earnings is issued by the Social Security Administration.

You can either receive a non-certified itemized statement of earnings or a certified version. The former costs ​$92​, and the latter will cost you an additional ​$30​. However, if you neither need an itemized earnings statement nor want it to be certified, you can obtain the annual earnings information you need at no charge through your Social Security account.

How to Obtain Employment History From SSA

Below is the procedure for obtaining employment history from the SSA.

  • Download Form 7050 online​. Its complete name is Form SSA-7050-F4: Request for Social Security Earning Information.
  • Read the terms and conditions.​ Also read the instructions provided carefully.
  • Fill in your personal details.​ Add your first and last name as well as other names you may use, your Social Security Number (SSN) and date of birth. If you are searching for information concerning a loved one who has passed on, you must provide their name, SSN and date of death.
  • Choose between certified or noncertified​. Determine whether you want a certified or noncertified itemized statement of earnings and specify that on the form. Remember, the former will cost you an extra ​$30​. But if it is required, you may be better off paying that additional cost. And ensure you specify the years for which you want to prove your earnings.
  • Choose where to send the statement​. Typically, the statement of earnings is meant to be sent to you. So, if you want to send it to a third party, such as a mortgage lender, you must specify so in the third section of the form by including the name and address of that third party.
  • Add relationship info​. If you are asking for proof of earnings on behalf of someone else, you must also include that information and share your relationship with that person. For example, you could be someone’s legal guardian looking for information concerning your ward.
  • Sign the form​. Sign Form 7050 and date it. If you sign using an X, two witnesses must attest to that fact by including their own signatures and full addresses.
  • Add payment info​. If you intend to pay by credit card, complete section four and include your credit card information. Otherwise, include your check or money order with the form and write your SSN in the memo.
  • Send the form​. Review all your information to ensure it is accurate and send the completed form to the address specified on it within ​120 days​ from when you completed it.
  • Call for questions​. If you have any questions concerning the form call ​1-800-772-1213​. However, you should give SSA 120 days for processing.

Remember, you can only make an earnings request for one SSN only for each Form 7050.