How to Get Help to Pay Your JEA Bill

If you need help paying your Jacksonville Electric Authority bill, help is available through the city and charitable organizations. Although some programs have income requirements, others are available to any household experiencing a hardship or financial setback. If you're approved for assistance, the payment is sent directly to JEA on your behalf.

United Way

If you need help paying your bill, JEA recommends contacting the United Way for assistance. When you dial the United Way's 2-1-1 information line, you'll connect with a specialist who has access to a databases of services and programs to help. The United Way partners with various charities and non-profits to provide help to people in need. If the United Way can't help directly, it will provide a referral to another organization with funds available. Call 2-1-1 or visit the United Way or Northeast Florida website.

Beaches Emergency Assistance Ministry

The Beaches Emergency Assistance Ministry provides financial assistance to struggling residents of Ponte Vedra Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach, and Mayport. The household must have experienced a hardship or emergency, such as an illness or temporary loss of income. If you're applying for utility bill assistance, the bill must be in your name. You only can receive assistance once in an 18-month period. Call 2-1-1 to receive a referral. Once you have a referral, you can schedule an appointment. You'll need to bring:

  • Photo identification 
  • Social Security cards for all household members
  • Current lease or mortgage documents 
  • Utility bill
  • Documented proof of emergency, such as medical bills or car repair receipts
  • Proof of income

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities of Jacksonville offers financial assistance for basic needs through the Emergency Assistance department. It strives to keep families safe in their homes by helping families facing an eviction or utility disconnection. To qualify, you must have experienced a financial setback within the past three months that caused you to fall behind on your bills. You must be at least one month behind on your electric bill, received a shut-off notice or had your utilities disconnected due to non-payment. Call 2-1-1 or 904-632-0600 for a referral.

Emergency Assistance Program

Jacksonville's Social Services Division administers the Emergency Assistance Program to help households experiencing an unforeseen crisis. This program provides temporary financial relief to help avoid a utility disconnection or service interruption. The program is open only to Duval County residents with a household income no greater than 135 percent of the federal poverty level. You'll need to provide documented proof of the crisis resulting in a financial hardship, and evidence that you had the ability to pay your bills prior to the crisis. Documents you'll need to bring include:

  • Photo ID for yourself and all adults in the household
  • Social Security numbers for all household members
  • Proof of household income for the past 45 days
  • Utility bill or disconnection notice

For an appointment, call 904-630-2469. If you need more information, call 904-630-0696.