Parking Lot Paving Grants

The two main types of materials used to pave parking lots are asphalt, a blacktop surface that requires maintenance every couple of years, and concrete, a lighter surface that rarely needs to be repaved. Grants are available from federal government agencies to cover the costs of paving parking lots used by schools, hospitals, medical centers and housing communities, as well as for public parking. Project costs covered by grants include labor and administrative expenses and equipment and supply purchases.

For Schools

Schools may apply for grants to pave new or existing parking lots to accommodate the cars of teachers, administrative staffs and students. For example, the U.S. Department of Education sponsors the Impact Aid program, which awards discretionary grants to schools for general purposes, including the funding of capital projects — such as paving parking lots.

For Community and Public Facilities

Community and neighborhood facilities in rural and urban areas may apply for grants to cover the costs of paving their parking lots. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development sponsors the Community Development Block Grant program. Grants are awarded to cities and counties with more than 50,000 residents and 200,000 residents, respectively, to construct or renovate public, community and neighborhood centers and facilities. Counties, towns and districts with fewer than 20,000 residents may apply to the the Community Facilities Grant Program for funds to cover capital projects such as the paving of community and public parking lots. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Hospitals and Health Care Facilities

Grant programs are available for construction or renovation of health care facilities' parking lots. For example, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services sponsors the Health Care and Other Facilities Grant Program. Grants are used to construct, renovate or expand health care centers and related facilities, including parking garages.

For Housing Units

Public housing authorities that need financial assistance to cover projects such as the paving of parking lots in public housing developments may apply for grants from HUD. Several grant programs are available from the federal agency. They include the HOPE VI and Main Street Grants programs. Also available is the Public Housing Capital Fund, which awards grants to PHAs to develop and modify public housing communities.