How to Find Out How Much of the GI Bill I Have Left

The GI Bill was enacted over 60 years ago to help military veterans receive higher education degrees and certifications to help achieve a better civilian life. A veteran may qualify for either the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Both GI bills help pay for college courses. There is no government website which a veteran can access to determine his official remaining benefits. However, there are ways to help answer the question and some websites give estimates.

Call the VA toll free at 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a representative. The representative will request your information and will be able to provide details about the benefits remaining on the GI Bill.

Go to the Department of Veterans Affairs website and ask a question. A link to the website is located in the Resources section of this article. Fill out the form with your question and contact information.

Review the periodic statements received regarding your benefits if you are already using GI bill to pay for school. Call the toll free number to ask questions about the statement.


  • Be patient. The toll free number typically has a wait time on hold before your question is answered. If you use the website to ask your question, allow a business day or two for a response before inquiring again or calling. The new Post 9/11 GI Bill provides tuition paid directly to a college or university, a monthly living allowance and a book allowance of $1,000/year, according to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America organization.