How to Find Out If You Have a Bad Check Out

In most states, bad check writers are prosecuted by the DA (District Attorney's) office. A merchant is required to notify you of the bad check and demand payment before he can turn the matter over to the DA's office. If the address and telephone number on your check is incorrect, it can hinder the merchant's attempts to contact you. There are other ways to easily find out if you have a bad check out.

Check your bank statement (online or paper statement) to see whether or not there is an insufficient funds fee. Generally, when there is an insufficient funds fee, the name of the merchant will also be listed. If you paid the merchant by check, the insufficient funds fee indicates that you have a bad check out.

Contact your bank. Ask the bank representative to verify whether or not you have any returned checks. The bank representative will likely be able to tell you the check number, the name of the merchant and the amount of the bounced check.

Contact the merchant directly. The merchant will be able to tell you whether or not your check bounced.

Avoid contacting or visiting the DA's office. If you have a warrant out for the bad check, you will be arrested. If you believe a bad check has been turned over to the DA, you should speak with an attorney. Allow the attorney to petition the DA's office on your behalf.


About the Author

Faizah Imani, an educator, minister and published author, has worked with clients such as Harrison House Author, Thomas Weeks III, Candle Of Prayer Company and "Truth & Church Magazine." Her dossier includes JaZaMM WebDesigns, assistant high-school band director, district manager for the Clarion Ledger and event coordinator for the Vicksburg Convention Center.