How to Obtain a 2007 W-2

How to Obtain a 2007 W-2
••• tax time image by Tom Oliveira from

From time to time, it may be necessary to hunt down a W-2 for current or previous years. Locating a 2007 W-2 is no different that locating any other W-2 from the past 10 years. There are two options to obtain W-2 information for previous years. The first, and easiest option is to contact the employer and ask it to fax or mail a copy of the 2007 W-2. The second option is to contact the IRS for the information. The IRS only has actual copies of a previous year W-2’s that were filed as part of a tax return. However, it can also provide the W-2 information in the form of a W-2 transcript for any tax year within the past 10 years. The following are instructions on how to request a copy of W-2 information for 2007, or any other previous tax year within the past 10 years.

Requesting IRS W-2 transcripts by phone

Contact the IRS by phone at (800) 829-1040. The hours of operation by phone are from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (taxpayer’s local time).

Ask the IRS representative for a W-2 information transcript for 2007 (or other year desired). Be ready to provide Social Security information for the taxpayer. The IRS provides these transcripts free of charge.

Wait to receive the transcript in the mail. The W-2 transcripts should arrive within a couple of weeks, but may take more time during peak tax months of January through April.

Mail or Fax

Select the appropriate form for the W-2 request. Use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, if all that is needed is the W-2 information, and not a copy of the actual W-2. The only way to obtain an actual copy of the W-2 from the IRS is if it was included as part of the tax return filing for that year. If this is the case, use Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return.

Go to the IRS website (see link in “Resources” section) to obtain the appropriate request form for the W-2 information. Forms can be downloaded from the IRS website 24 hours a day.

Complete the form and either fax or mail it to the IRS. Requests for copies of tax returns can only be made by mail, because they must be accompanied by a check or money order for the $57 copy fee. The fax number and mailing addresses vary depending on the taxpayer’s state of residence, so refer to the instructions included with the form for fax and mailing information.

Wait for receipt of the W-2 information by mail within a couple of weeks.


  • Only the taxpayer or authorized representative may request W-2 transcripts or copies of a previous year's tax returns.