How to Get a Mortgage With an ITIN Number

An individual tax identification number (ITIN) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service to people who do not have a Social Security number or who do not want to use their Social Security number to pay taxes. Many undocumented immigrants use ITIN numbers to obtain loans and to buy property.

Apply for an ITIN number. You can get one by filling out an application available on the IRS website. See a link in References to IRS form W-7.

Build a credit history with your ITIN number. You can build a good relationship with your local bank by opening an account and then applying for a credit card, an auto loan or another type of credit. A regular payment history of at least two years will boost your chances for getting a mortgage.

Build a record of rent payment. In order to show that you will be able to make your mortgage payments, some ITIN lenders like to see a record of rent payment for about two years.

Build a good employment history. Lenders like to see an employment history of at least two years with the same employer or in the same line of work. Evidence of this would be W-2 forms for two years or income tax returns for two years.

Search for banks that accept ITIN numbers, get prequalified and apply for your mortgage. Call local banks and ask if they have ITIN loan programs. Also contact local community groups and immigrant groups that may have information that can help you.