In 2009, the U.S. Census Bureau released statistics estimating that 43.6 million people live at poverty level and 50.7 million people are without health insurance. For someone living at this level, finding the means to pay for dentures may seem daunting. There are several sources that may help with expenses.
The federal government provides assistance through clinics for eligible individuals. They also offer free grants to needy individuals to help pay for dentures. Medicaid or Medicare can help with dental costs, but may not provide denture coverage. For more information, check with your state office.
For those with the ability to pay over time, financing plans are available. Some local organizations, such as the Kiwanis, Women's Auxiliary and Rotary club may offer resources as well as informational help. The United Way has a directory of free to lower cost dental services in your area.
Check out dental schools or dental hygiene schools. Most offer some kind of financial assistance at a lower cost. A little know resource is the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR). They often conduct free clinical trials and volunteers receive free or low-cost dental treatment in return.
- Dentures: Free Dentures
- Free-Dentistry: Financing Resources: Non-Qualifying Families and Individuals
- Nidcr.nih: Finding Low-Cost Dental Care
- National Association of Dental Plans. "Who has dental benefits today?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Aetna. "Dental Services and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Coverage Under Medical Plans." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Healthinsurance.org. "What’s the difference between dental insurance and dental discount plans?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Consumer Reports. "Think Twice Before Buying Private Dental Insurance." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- OralB. "How Much Do Braces Cost?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- CarePlusDentalPlans. "Cosmetic Dentistry Insurance." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- DentalPlans.com. "What Are Dental Savings Plans?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- ADA. "What Does My Plan Cover?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Healthcare.gov. "Using a Flexible Spending Plan." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- KFF. "Drilling Down on Dental Coverage and Costs for Medicare Beneficiaries." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Healthcare.gov. "Dental coverage in the Marketplace." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Cigna. "Full Coverage Dental Insurance." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- ADA. "What Are the Different Types of Dental Plans?" Accessed July 31, 2020.
- HarborBreeze. "In House Dental Plan." Accessed July 31, 2020.
- Humana.com. "The scoop on dental discount plans." Accessed July 31, 2020.
Since 2007, Janett Niemi has been writing and educating others on the benefits of meditating and living a positive life. Her work can be seen in a variety of online publications. She received a Bachelor of Arts in business management from Saint Mary's College of Moraga.