Kentucky Home Improvement Grants

Kentucky Home Improvement Grants
••• Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Kentucky homeowners, rental property managers and public housing authorities are eligible for government grants to renovate and repair their homes and housing units. Grants cover capital project costs including equipment and supply costs as well as administrative and labor expenses. Grants are generally not required to be repaid but some programs recoup funds if homeowners do not fulfill the agreement terms.

Kentucky Department of Aging

Kentucky’s Department of Aging promotes a grant program providing financial assistance to senior homeowners to make home renovations and repairs to remove health and safety hazards. The Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program awards grants of up to $7,500 to homeowners 62 years of age and older who cannot afford loans. Grant recipients cannot sell their homes for three years. The U.S. Department of Agriculture sponsors this grant program.

Home Improvement and Structural Alterations Grant

Veterans in Kentucky who have service-related disabilities can apply for grants through any of the state's regional Medical Centers of the Department of Veteran Affairs. The Home Improvement and Structural Alterations program awards grants up to $4,200 to veterans to make modifications and improvements to their homes for better mobility and access. Grants of up to $1,200 are awarded to low-income veterans who are on Medicaid.

Local Grants

Cities and county government agencies also sponsor grants for their residents. In Covington, Kentucky, for instance, the Home Repair Program provides financial assistance to low-income residents to make emergency home repairs to protect lives and save the houses’ structures. Financial assistance is in the form of loans; however they are interest-free and are forgivable. Kentucky homeowners should check with their local government agencies for financial assistance opportunities.

Federal Grants

Kentucky homeowners and property managers can apply for grants from federal government agencies to improve their homes. For example, the Department of Energy sponsors the Weatherization Assistance Program, which covers projects to make homes energy efficient. The Department of Housing and Urban Development also supports grant programs for public housing authorities to construct, renovate and modernize housing units for low-income tenants, such as HOPE VI, YouthBuild and Public Housing Capital Fund.