How to Be a HUD Transitional Housing Landlord for Vets

The Transitional Housing program for Veterans is a subcategory of the HUD (Housing and Urban Development) Section 8 program. In order to accept HUD Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing vouchers (HUD-VASH), a landlord must apply to participate in the Section 8 housing program. A preference for HUD-VASH vouchers can be stated, but due to the limited number available, it is possible that there will not be many eligible veterans in your area.

Visit your local housing authority. They will guide you through filling out the necessary paperwork. HUD provides a list of Housing Authority offices on its website (see Resources).

Provide any information required by your local housing agency. This may vary by location, but generally includes the number and size of the rental units you have available.

Alter your advertising and apartment listings to reflect that you accept Section 8 and HUD-VASH vouchers. Recipients of the vouchers find their own housing, so they need to know that you are willing to rent to them.

Schedule a property inspection with the housing authority to ensure that your apartment meets the renters' needs and complies with HUD requirements. You will be given a time frame to make any necessary repairs. If the repairs are not made, the voucher holder will have to look for another rental unit.

Review and sign the lease with your new tenant. Section 8 and HUD-VASH leases are for a year at a time.


  • As with any other tenants, you are within your rights to screen potential Section 8 and HUD-VASH renters, and to refuse to rent to those that do not meet your requirements. Tenants may also be evicted for reason and by following proper procedure, just as non-voucher tenants can be.

    To qualify for HUD-VASH assistance, a veteran must agree either to counseling or to rehabilitation, depending on their personal circumstances. Be sure you are comfortable renting to someone with these potential difficulties before applying to accept vouchers.