How Do I Know If I Need SR22 Insurance?

How Do I Know If I Need SR22 Insurance?
••• Maria Teijeiro/Digital Vision/Getty Images

SR-22 insurance is a type of automobile insurance offered to drivers who have been arrested for drunken driving or are considered high-risk drivers. In many cases, major auto insurance companies will drop insurance policies for people arrested or convicted of drunken driving or driving under the influence (DWI or DUI). Such individuals are required to carry SR-22 insurance, which is also known as financial responsibility insurance. The insurance must meet the minimum amount of coverage demanded by state laws.

Determine whether you need to file an SR-22 by contacting the local office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Ask for information regarding SR-22 coverage or proof of insurance based on state laws.

Ask your insurance agent or DMV about SR-22 requirements if you have been cited for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or if you have been cited for driving without insurance. You might also be cited for driving with a suspended license. Some insurance companies file SR-22 forms, while others do not. If you have a suspended license, you will need an SR-22 to be filed to get insurance and your license back.

Initiate an inquiry with your insurance agent if you have been cited for multiple driving tickets or accidents and have been told by a court that you are required to file an SR-22. In most cases, the DMV will send out a notice if you need to file an SR-22.

If you have been dropped by your insurance company or if you are driving without auto insurance, look for auto insurance companies that file SR-22s. In some cases, you might have difficulty receiving an SR-22 filing if you have a poor credit history. Shop around for insurance companies that file SR-22s and be prepared to pay more for insurance.