What Happens if I Forgot to Add a 1099-R on My Tax Return?

What Happens if I Forgot to Add a 1099-R on My Tax Return?
••• elenaleonova/E+/GettyImages

There are few things more nerve-wracking than completing your tax return and sending it off, only to discover that you omitted a vital piece of information. The Internal Revenue Service uses the income information you attach to your return to substantiate the amounts listed on your filing. In some cases, failing to send the required 1099 or W-2 could significantly delay the processing of your return. Other times, however, mailing wage forms isn’t necessary. It is imperative that you are able to determine when substantiation of income is required and when it’s unnecessary.

What a 1099-R Is

A 1099-R is the IRS form that reports a taxpayer’s distributions from IRAs, annuities, retirement plans, pensions and insurance contracts. Do not confuse this with Social Security benefits, which are reported on SSA-1099. Taxpayers who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will not receive a 1099-R or a SSA-1099 because SSI payments are not taxable.

Filing Your Taxes

You are required to attach your 1099-R to your return if it shows income tax withheld. If it does not show income tax withheld, then you are not required to submit it with your return. If you file electronically, you are not required to mail in Form 1099-R.

Correcting Your Return

If you forgot to include the income or tax withheld from Form 1099-R on your return, then you are required to complete an amended return using IRS Form 1040X to make the change. There is no hard and fast way to complete a 1040X since the sections on form 1040X correspond to different categories on your income tax return. For example, taxpayers who are only making changes to their filing status must complete lines 1-22, while taxpayers who are making changes to their exemptions must complete lines 1-31. A complete list of adjustments and their corresponding line entries is found on page six of the 1040X instructions. You can print a copy of Form 1040X with accompanying instructions from the IRS website. Mail your amended return to the IRS service center that processes returns for your area. Allow eight to 12 weeks for processing.

Statute of Limitations

The IRS only allows three years from the date of your original filing to file an amended return and receive a refund. If you file after the statute expires, then you forfeit your right to a refund. If you require assistance completing your return, call the IRS at 800-829-1040.