Grants for Low Income Seniors

by Heather Neuharth ; Updated July 27, 2017
Senior citizens may receive grants to assist in housing, utility bills and daily living.

American senior citizens may struggle with issues related to disabilities, health care and low income. Those who did not accumulate enough retirement income may have a difficult time paying for housing, medical bills, utility bills and daily expenses. For the elderly population needing assistance in any of these areas, a number of grants are funded through federal and state government as well as private organizations.

U.S. Department of Housing and Human Development

The U.S. Department of Housing and Human Development (HUD) provides programs in sections such as fair housing, single-family housing, healthcare facility loans, lead hazard control, public housing and multifamily housing. The Supportive Housing for the Elderly Program provides financial assistance to low-income seniors through capital advance grants designed for the construction or rehabilitation of supportive housing projects. Applicants must be at least 62 years old and live in a low-income household comprised of one person or more.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street S.W. Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

United States Department of Agriculture

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) develops policies and programs in the categories of education, food and nutrition, marketing, rural and community development, research and science, natural resources and travel in relation to agriculture. The Nutrition Services Incentive Program (NSIP) is operated through the efforts of the USDA Food and Nutrition Services and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service's (DHHS) Administration on Aging (AoA). The program involves providing the elderly with nutritious meals. Available foods are the same as those used in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Individuals over the age of 60 and their spouses are eligible for benefits. Disabled individuals who live with elderly adults may also receive benefits.

United States Department of Agriculture 3101 Park Center Drive Alexandria, VA 22302 703-305-2680

Video of the Day

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Administration for Children and Families (ACF) operates federal programs to guide the well-being of individuals, children, families and their communities. ACF programs for the elderly focus on energy assistance, health and disabilities. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides grants to low-income households in support of home energy needs. Emergency assistance is emphasized towards the elderly, disabled or young children because they are most at risk for illness or death related to excessive heat or cold temperatures. The LIHEAP program offers energy crisis assistance in addition to bill payment assistance and energy-related home repairs.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families 370 L'Enfant Promenade, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20447 866-674-6327

About the Author

Heather Neuharth received her B.A. in psychology with a minor in multicultural and ethnic studies at Westfield State College. She has been employed as a direct-care professional for the mentally ill, a job coach for individuals with disabilities and an activity assistant for the elderly. Neuharth writes for various online publications.

Photo Credits

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article