Grants for Handicapped Senior Citizens

Several federal grant programs are available to disabled senior citizens. One program grants funds for a variety of purposes, while others grant funds for specific purposes such as adaptive housing, rental assistance or medical expenses. Some of these programs are limited to disabled veterans.

Supplemental Security Income

The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers grant money to the elderly and disabled through a program called Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The SSI program provides assistance for basic needs such as housing, food and clothing. You may be eligible for SSI benefits if you are over 65, disabled and have a low income and few possessions. You can easily determine your eligibility and apply for benefits by visiting the SSA website.

Medical Grants

Disabled senior citizens may be eligible for assistance with medical expenses through the federally-funded Medicaid and Medicare programs. Medicare provides assistance with in-patient care and a variety of medical procedures, and also helps recipients pay for prescription drugs. Medicaid is a federally-funded, state-administered program that also helps to provide medical care and coverage to low-income, elderly and disabled individuals. You may apply for Medicare online through the SSA website ( You must apply for Medicaid through your state agency.

Housing Grants

The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers several grant programs to help disabled senior citizens secure housing. For example, the Section 504 Grant Program is available to very low-income persons aged 62 and older, and will help a homeowner pay for needed renovations. The Section 515 Rural Rental Housing Program and Section 521 Rental Assistance Program are also available to elderly and disabled individuals in rural areas. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also offers rental assistance to elderly citizens through the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Grants for Veterans

Some grants for handicapped senior citizens are limited to former military personnel. For example, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers housing assistance through the Specially Adapted Housing grants and the Special Home Adaptation grant. These programs administer funds that disabled individuals can use to alter their homes to better meet their needs. The Disabled Veterans National Foundation offers grants of up to $1,000 to help disabled veterans pay for rent, housing or utilities.