How to Get Grants for Assisted Living in Maryland

How to Get Grants for Assisted Living in Maryland
••• Living room image by MAXFX from

Advances in medical technology have allowed individuals to live longer than ever before. That increased life span, though, has also increased the need for services that cater to senior citizens. One important service our aging population is using more frequently is assisted living. The United States government has created grant programs to encourage individuals to provide assisted living facilities. These grants are available in all 50 states, including Maryland.

Apply with the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for an Assisted Living Conversion Program (ALCP) grant. The application is available through HUD's website. This program is available to for-profit groups and individuals only who currently own multi-family housing that they desire to convert to assisted living housing. Assisted living housing is defined by HUD as a dwelling unit that is capable of accommodating elderly individuals and certain persons with disabilities who need assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, eating and grooming. You do not have to convert the entire multifamily property to assisted living housing to qualify for the grant.

Apply for an Independent State Grant through the Maryland Independent Living State Council (MILSC). The funds for the Independent State Grant are provided to the State of Maryland by the United States Department of Education. These funds are available to for-profit and non-profit borrowers. You can apply for the grant by calling the MILSC and requesting the grant paperwork to be sent to you. The MILSC can be contacted at 410-554-5412. The MILSC evaluates grant applications based on the amount of funds requested by the applicant, the size of the proposed project, the area the project is located in the state and the experience of the applicant in developing assisted living facilities.

Request Emergency Capital Repair Program funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). This program provides non-profit entities which currently own or manage assisted living facilities grant money to make emergency repairs to their facilities. A repair is considered an emergency if it relates to the health, safety or welfare of the facility's tenants. You can apply through HUD's website.