Government Grants for Homeowners for Sewage Treatment

Properly disposing of and treating sewage reduces the chance of people catching diseases such as cholera and typhoid. Homeowners in rural and urban areas can apply for grants from local, state and federal government agencies to repair their wastewater systems. Grants cover project costs, including equipment purchases as well as labor expenses.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Grants for homeowners to cover renovation projects including constructing and improving their wastewater treatment systems are available from the Community Development Block Grant Program. Funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), this grant program provides financial assistance to homeowners in cities with more than 50,000 population and counties with more than 200,000 residents.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Grants are available to homeowners from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to construct or improve their sewage treatment systems. One is the Wastewater Treatment Works Construction Grant program. Grants are awarded to municipalities to improve wastewater treatment facilities; however, financial assistance is also extended to homeowners to build or upgrade their privately owned individual treatment systems.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) also sponsors grant programs to help homeowners remove sewage from their homes. The Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program provides grants to homeowners 62 years old and older to remove health and safety hazards from their homes as well as cover renovation and repair costs after the removal of the hazards. Another program is the Housing Preservation Grant Program. Grants are awarded to low-income homeowners as well as rental property and co-op managers and members to cover home renovation and repair projects.

Local and State Grants

Homeowners can apply for grants at the local and state government levels as well. For example, Covington, Kentucky, and Marietta, Georgia, provide financial assistance to homeowners to pay for repairs to their wastewater systems. Also, the USDA awards grants to low-income homeowners of old Colonial-style homes in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California to repair and upgrade their water systems. Homeowners should check with local government agencies for funding opportunities.