How to Get a Replacement Medicare Card

Medicare is a federal health insurance plan for people age 65 or older and some people under age 65 with serious disabilities. There are two parts to the program. Part A is hospital insurance. Most people with this type of benefits do not pay any out-of-pocket expenses because they paid Medicare taxes when they were employed. Part B is a medical insurance program that costs the majority of people using its benefits a monthly premium not unlike any other form of health insurance. In order to use the program you are issued a card to prove you are a valid recipient. These steps will show you how to get a replacement card if yours becomes lost, damaged or stolen.

Gather your personal information. You will need your social security number, date of birth and contact information in order to file for a replacement card. You may also need information about your place of birth and your mother’s maiden name.

Contact the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) by dialing 1-800-MEDICARE. They will direct you in filing for a replacement card.

Call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213. They will also help you get a new card.

Visit your local Social Security office. You can also file for a new Medicare card in person at the office.

Receive your new card in the mail in about 30 days.


  • You can also request a letter to use as proof of your benefits if you are unable to wait the 30 days for your new card to arrive. It typically takes about 10 days to get the letter in the mail. If you need proof of your Medicare benefits immediately, visit your local social security administration.