Form W2 vs. Form 1099

by Bob Haring
This workman could be an employee or a contractor.

If you perform work for a company, your pay will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service on one of two forms, depending on your status. If you're an employee and you and the business pay Social Security taxes on your behalf, you'll get a W-2 statement of earnings. If you're a freelancer or independent contractor, it will be a Form 1099-MISC.


A W-2, wage and tax statement, shows your total compensation and how much pay was withheld for federal income taxes, Social Security and Medicare. It also shows any amounts held for state and local taxes or for retirement plans. You'll get a copy from your employer, who's required to provide one by Feb. 1 for the preceding tax year.


A 1099-MISC reports miscellaneous income, including any non-employee compensation you received totaling more than $600 for the year. You'll get a 1099 from everyone you worked for during the year. A 1099-MISC can also report such things as rents, royalties and other payments, but your employment-type pay, for freelance work or as a contractor, will be shown on Box 7. Under certain circumstances, the company is required to withhold federal income tax from this pay, and it will show in Box 4.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling

W-2 Key Elements

An employer will pay part of your Social Security and Medicare taxes, plus any federal or state unemployment taxes. You'll use Box 1, compensation, for the amount to report on your federal income tax form and Box 2, income tax withheld, to figure what tax you owe or how much refund you are due.

1099 Responsibilities

With a 1099-MISC, you are responsible for paying not only all your income tax, but you are subject to a self-employment tax. That tax replaces the Social Security payments you and an employer contribute with W-2 wages. You're also responsible for reporting income and expenses and making quarterly tax payments.

About the Author

Bob Haring has been a news writer and editor for more than 50 years, mostly with the Associated Press and then as executive editor of the Tulsa, Okla. "World." Since retiring he has written freelance stories and a weekly computer security column. Haring holds a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Missouri.

Photo Credits

  • Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article