Financial Help for a Struggling Single Mom

Financial Help for a Struggling Single Mom
••• Mom and sons image by studio vision1 from

Single moms have the burden of caring full-time for their children and making sure the bills get paid. Single moms often have to take on a second job to make ends meet, but that just increases the daycare expenses. Fortunately, there are state programs that help low-income single moms pay heating bills and obtain groceries to feed their families.


WIC stands for "Women, Infants and Children." This government program is available to all single moms who are pregnant, or who have children in the home 5 years old or younger. The program provides mothers with cereal, milk, cheese, peanut butter, tuna fish and baby formula. Mothers may also qualify for Pediasure with a doctor's script. In the summertime, WIC provides single moms with farmer's market vouchers so they can purchase fresh fruits and vegetables. Not having to buy these items can significantly help single moms financially.

Modest Needs

Modest Needs is an organization that provides self-sufficiency grants, back-to-work grants and independent living grants to single moms and low-income families. Single moms can apply for help with a rent payment, unexpected medical bill or assistance for a large summer cooling bill. None of the grants have to be paid back and are meant to keep single moms and families from entering poverty. Single moms can apply directly from the Modest Needs website. Applicants will need to produce documents to verify that they need financial help.

Catholic Charities USA

Catholic Charities USA does not only help Catholic single moms, but also single moms of every religious background. They help single moms get tangible items that their family may need such as clothing and food. They also have programs set up to provide money for utilities, prescriptions or other types of emergency financial needs (repairs on a car, for example). To apply, single moms need to choose their state from the Catholic Charities USA website (see Resources) and then choose the closest location. Contact information will then be displayed on your screen.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Single moms can contact their local Social Services agency to get help with heating and cooling bills. This program is called Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP for short. Once a single mom provides documentation of need, a check will be issued directly to the heating or cooling supplier. While single moms are at the Social Services building, they can inquire about other types of financial help such as rental assistance or food stamps.