How to File Federal Income Taxes to Claim a Significant Other

According to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Publication 501, any person can be claimed as a qualifying relative if he meets specific requirements. A significant other may be claimed as a qualifying relative if he or she is a United States citizen or resident, is not being claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer, lived in your household for the entire tax year, earned less than $3,650 and relied on you for over half of his or her living expenses during the year.

To claim a significant other as a dependent, you must use IRS Form 1040-A when completing your federal income tax return.

Get Form 1040-A and the accompanying instruction manual at your local post office or download the form and manual from the IRS forms and instructions website. To locate the documents on the website, navigate to the proper page by clicking "Next" or enter 1040-A in the "Find" text field and click "Find."

Go to Page 21 of the instruction manual for Form 1040-A and determine if your significant other can be considered a qualifying relative. If she meets the requirements for being a qualifying relative, complete the worksheet on the right side of Page 21 to determine if she can be claimed as your dependent.

Fill in the information required on Line 6c of Form 1040-A if your significant other qualifies as your dependent. This information will include his full name, Social Security number and relationship to you. Do not fill in the check box in Column 4 of Line 6c.

Complete Form 1040-A by providing your personal information and tax information. Sign and submit Form 1040-A to the IRS office for your area of residence. A list of IRS offices is provided on the last page of the instructions for Form 1040-A.


  • If your significant other did not live with you for the entire tax year, see the section about temporary absences in IRS Publication 501 for allowable exceptions.