How to File an Application for WIC Assistance

••• Hemera Technologies/ Images

The federally funded Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, known as WIC, provides low-income families who lack a healthful diet with nutritious food supplements. The U.S. Department of Agriculture administers WIC. Eligible participants are pregnant, nursing and postpartum mothers; infants; and children up to 5 years old. Participants must meet program requirements.

Check the eligibility requirements for your state. State agencies determine eligibility and provide benefits and services. You and your family must be in one of the categories for women and children applicants, live in the state in which you are applying for assistance, meet certain income restrictions and be nutritionally at risk, as determined by a physician, nurse or nutritionist.

Call your local health department. Make an appointment to apply for the program in person. A department representative can tell you where the nearest office is that can handle your application and what documents you need to bring.

Gather the required documents. All applicants need proof of identity, which a Social Security card or photo ID provides. Adults need proof of income from a pay stub, bank statement, W2 form or other income-verifying document. Another requirement is proof of residency, which a utilities bill verifies.

Go to your appointment with the WIC agent. Fill out the application form as instructed and submit it with your documents.


  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers food assistance programs, has a list of state toll-free numbers for WIC applicants on its website.


  • As a grant-funded program, WIC isn't an entitlement program and doesn't accept every eligible person.


About the Author

This article was written by PocketSense staff. If you have any questions, please reach out to us on our contact us page.

Photo Credits

  • Hemera Technologies/ Images