Federal Grants for Disabled Women

Federal Grants for Disabled Women
••• greatgrandmother 6 image by mdb from Fotolia.com

Many federal grants are available to disabled women for transportation, home heating, and education. Most grants are awarded based on the applicant's disability and age. Each grant has its own application process, and applicants may need to meet certain criteria, such as income limits, residency and ethnic background. Unlike loans, these grants do not have to be repaid.

Capital Assistance Program for Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities

The Capital Assistance Program for Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities is one example of a federal grant for disabled women and men. This grant aims to assist the transportation and mobile needs of the elderly and people with disabilities. Generally, grants are awarded to individuals who live in areas where public transportation is not readily available or reliable. Applicants apply through a local government agency that then submits a larger proposal to the federal government for use of funds. Grants are awarded through the Department of Transportation. This grant program is currently active.

Contact the headquarters to obtain an application.

Capital Assistance Program for Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Headquarters Office Gilbert Williams 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE Washington, DC 20590 202-366-0797 fta.dot.gov

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program is offered through the U.S. Department of Energy. This grant, open to all U.S. states and residents, is specifically for low-income persons, including disabled citizens with low incomes. As a disabled female applicant, you might have a greater edge in applying, given your minority status. The aim of this grant is to heat homes using the most cost-effective method possible. Ideally, the least amount of energy should be used while also making homes safe and livable. The average amount awarded per family home is $6,500 per year.

Applicants must apply through Federal Connect. The link is provided in the References section.

Weatherization Assistance Program Ronald Shaw 950 L'Enfant Plaza, Rm 6043 Washington, DC 20585 202-586-6593 eere.energy.gov/weatherization

Demonstration to Maintain Independence and Employment

The Demonstration to Maintain Independence and Employment (DMIE), offered through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, aims to reduce the number of persons who lose employment because of their disability. This grant, open to disabled men and women, also provides benefits similar to Medicaid for workers. Applicants apply through state offices who then submit a large proposal to the federal government. In order to qualify, disabled females must be at least 16 years of age but not yet 65, have a severe physical or mental disability, and be currently employed. Bear in mind, this grant is to help disabled persons maintain current employment, not find jobs.

For application procedures and deadlines, please contact the office below.

Demonstration to Maintain Independence and Employment Adrienne Delozier 7500 Security Boulevard Baltimore, MD 21244 410-786-0278 cms.hhs.gov/contracts/

FAFSA and Pell Grants for Disabled Women

The easiest way to market yourself for federal grants is to indicate your disability when completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When your application is processed, your disability will be put into the computer system, and you will be notified of other federal grants for disabled women. Also check out "The Directory of Financial Aid For Women 2007-2009" by Gail Schlachter and R. David Weber. This directory includes a section on grants for disabled women.