What Do I Do With Expired Treasury Checks?

Under federal law, U.S. Department of Treasury checks must be deposited or cashed within one year from the issue date. Although you cannot legally cash your expired Treasury check, you still have a right to receive the funds. Do not destroy or throw away the check. You must follow the agency's reissue process to receive a new one.

Paying Agent

If you have an expired Treasury check, the U.S. Department of the Treasury urges you to contact the federal agency that authorized the issue of the check. You will need to request a reissue. The issuing agency will appear on the front of the check. If the check is not in your possession, you will need to file a lost check claim with the paying agent first.

Contact Information

Several federal agencies commonly issue U.S. Department of Treasury checks. The Internal Revenue Service can be reached by calling 800-829-1040. The Social Security Administration phone number is 800-772-1213. Contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service for Department of Defense payments at 888-332-7411. The Department of Veterans Affairs can be reached at 800-827-1000. You can contact the Office of Personnel Management 888-767-6738 or 202-606-0500.


Each agency has its own procedure for requesting a reissue of an expired check. For example, to request a replacement for an expired IRS check, you must write 'void' across the check. Send a short letter explaining the situation, include your contact information and enclose the check. After submitting your request, the agency will review your claim for validity. If approved, you will receive a new check. The length of time for reissue can vary. In most cases, it can take up to 8 weeks to receive a reissued check.

Unclaimed Funds

Money from the government you do not collect becomes classified as unclaimed property. Government agencies do not contact you to discuss unclaimed money. If you receive a call from someone claiming to help you access your funds for a fee, it is a scam. You are entitled to your unclaimed money free of charge. If you want to see if you have unclaimed funds, visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators.