Whole life insurance is considered to be the most expensive type of life insurance. Its premiums can be as much as five to 10 times more expensive than term life insurance premiums.
The benefits of whole life insurance are that it builds a cash value savings that can be used to supplement your future retirement income. The cash values can also be used for any other purpose you desire.
The amount of death benefit you are able to purchase compared to the premium you pay is much lower when compared to term life insurance. This often makes getting the right amount of death benefit difficult through a whole life insurance policy.
Make sure that you get the proper amount of death benefit protection. This might mean purchasing a different type of life insurance policy. However, it's important to consider that the primary purpose of life insurance is to insure your financial obligations.
- "Life Insurance"; Kenneth Black, Jr., Harold D. Skipper, Jr.; Prentice-Hall Inc.; 1994
- "Practicing Financial Planning for Professionals (Practitioners' Edition), 10th Edition"; Sid Mittra, Anandi P. Sahu, Robert A Crane; 2007
- Internal Revenue Service. "Life Insurance & Disability Insurance Proceeds." Accessed June 20, 2020.
- USA.gov. "Personal Insurance." Accessed June 20, 2020.
- Insurance Information Institute. "What are the different types of permanent life insurance policies?" Accessed June 20, 2020.
- Insurance Information Institute. "What are the principal types of life insurance?" Accessed June 20, 2020.
I am a Registered Financial Consultant with 6 years experience in the financial services industry. I am trained in the financial planning process, with an emphasis in life insurance and annuity contracts. I have written for Demand Studios since 2009.