Who Do I Contact If My Paycheck Bounces?

Who Do I Contact If My Paycheck Bounces?
••• Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

The first thing to do if you receive a bounced check from your employer is to contact your immediate supervisor or boss regarding the matter. Your point of contact may be different depending on the size the company. Larger organizations usually adhere to a chain of command. The possibility of having to confront your employer regarding a bounced paycheck is a touchy subject.

Point of Contact

Receiving a bad check from your employer can bring about feelings of anger, anxiety and fear. It may be an ominous sign of difficult times faced by your employer. Nevertheless, the best course of action is keeping a level head and directing your problem to the appropriate contact. If you work for a small business, the point of contact may be the owner of the company, the bookkeeper or person who handles payroll. In the case of a larger organization, you may have to follow the chain of command, such as your immediate supervisor.

Human Resources

Receiving a bad check is not only embarrassing for you but also your employer. Just imagine having to tell your boss that the company failed to meet its major financial obligation of paying its employees. Large organizations prefer their employees to follow the chain of command. For instance, if you alert your immediate supervisor regarding the bounced paycheck, chances are she must report the incident to a higher-up. Large companies usually have a human resources department that handles employee issues. If you work for a large company, alerting the human resources department of a bounced paycheck is probably the most appropriate course of action. It saves you the embarrassment of having to get your boss or supervisor involved.


Receiving a bounced paycheck from your employer is a sensitive topic. You must handle the situation tactfully. You have every right to be angry but shouting, using profanity or becoming belligerent won't do you any good and can potentially complicate matters. Find the right time and place to approach your boss. This applies to whether you work for a small or large firm. You don't want to make a public scene or cause an employee panic. If your company has a human resources department, find the contact person who handles your department or who can direct you to someone in payroll.


Your bank may charge you fees for attempting to cash a bad check. In this case, have your employer reimburse you for any bank fees on top of your wages. Barring human error, a bounced paycheck may indicate that it's time to start looking for employment elsewhere, particularly if other employees share your experience. This is the ideal time to ask your employer about the financial condition of the company. If it is a chronic issue, you may need to seek outside help. The U.S. Department of Labor has local offices in every state.