How to Contest Your Credit Score

Inaccurate information on your credit report can be a major concern, especially when it affects your credit score. Even when a debt has been paid, a company may still report it as unpaid to one of the three major credit bureaus. Also, a collection agency may not always report that a debt was paid. Contacting the credit bureaus to get your credit score corrected can take a little time, but the process is very simple.

Pull your credit reports from the three major credit bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax and Experian) and examine their content. This can be done once a year free of charge at Review each report for errors and contact the appropriate bureau if any are found.

Contact Equifax by accessing its website (see Resources) or call the 800 number listed on your credit report for filing a dispute. This process involves filling out an online form listing your concerns. Or call a customer service representative to discuss the items on your report that you are disputing. It can take up to 45 days to remove the incorrect information from the report.

Go to TransUnion's website (see Resources) to file a dispute, or call 1-800-916-8800 between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. Monday through Friday. You'll need the following information: your TransUnion file number (located on the credit report), Social Security number, date of birth, current address, the name of the company involved in the dispute and the account number (provided on the credit report) and the reason for the dispute. It can take up to 45 days to remove the items from your credit report and correct your score.

Contact Experian through its website (see Resources) or call the number provided on the credit report for filing a dispute. The form for filing a dispute is on the site. Again, it will take up to 45 days to remove any incorrect information from your report.