How to Collect Unpaid Child Support in Illinois

Child support in Illinois is money paid by a noncustodial parent toward the financial expenses of raising a child. If you are not receiving your support, state law provides for collection enforcement. A noncustodial parent who is behind in payments is subject to wage garnishment, property liens, interception of tax returns, fines, license suspension and jail time. The Illinois Child Support Services program assists custodial parents and caregivers in receiving owed child support.

Calculate the amount of support owed. Illinois law provides for interest accrual on late child-support payments at the rate of 9 percent per year, and interest is applied once a payment is more than 30 days late. Write the total down and note when the last support payment was made.

Write down all of the relevant information you have about the noncustodial parent. Include the parent's current address, place of employment, the location of any bank accounts and any other sources of income you are aware of. Note whether or not the noncustodial parent has a valid Illinois driver's license. List any assets, such as a house or car, that the noncustodial parent owns in Illinois and any other state.

Gather any financial documents of the custodial parent you have. Include pay stubs, bank statements and other evidence of money or income. Illinois laws allow for wage garnishment and property liens for unpaid child-support collection.

Contact the Illinois Child Support Program worker who is handling your account. Check over letters you have received from the support unit for contact information for your worker or visit the official website of Illinois Child Support Services for regional office contact information. Give the worker the information you wrote down, verify the support amount and state the date of the last payment. Ask for a fax number or mailing address for the supporting documents you gathered. Tell the worker you wish to commence further collection activities against the noncustodial parent if no or little collection action has been taken.

Fax or mail your supporting documents to the worker's attention. Contact the worker to verify that the documents have been received.

Comply with all requests from the collection unit. You may be asked by the Child Support Program to attend court hearings regarding the past due support.