How to change an address with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service)

by Contributor ; Updated July 27, 2017

Whether you are waiting for a tax return or doing a new move, making sure the IRS has your correct address is important. Use this step by step guide to change an address with the IRS.

Step 1

The first step to change an address with the IRS is to update any correspondence and mail you have with the IRS. Make sure any notification you receive from the IRS has your new address on it. Also, make sure any response to the IRS has the updated and new address. You can correct the address on labels and on your forms and the IRS will update your address when they process these forms.

Step 2

Next, fill out a Form 8222 (see resources below). A Form 8822 notifies the Internal Revenue Service of a new address. If you are changing several addresses (for example home and business address), make sure you fill out separate forms for each change of address you need to file.

Step 3

Look up the Internal Revenue Service center in your area. You can look up your service center on the back of the 8822 form based on where your old address was. You can also call 1-800-829-3676 to find the IRS center to notify for your address.

Step 4

Finally, make a copy and send the form to your designated Internal Revenue Service Center.