How to Change the Birth Date on a Tax Return

How to Change the Birth Date on a Tax Return
••• tax forms image by Chad McDermott from

If you need to change your date of birth on an income tax return, this means you filed your return electronically. Paper income tax returns do not ask for your date of birth because you calculate your own deductions and credits manually; on the other hand, returns filed electronically require your date of birth so that tax credits and deductions can be calculated automatically. If you entered your date of birth incorrectly on your e-filed tax return, you'll need to correct the information by visiting the tax preparation website that you used to file your return.

Open your browser and navigate to the website you used to e-file your income tax return. Commonly used sites include TurboTax and H&R Block.

Log in to your account.

Navigate to the “Personal Information” section of your return. If you have not yet filed your return, you can simply enter your correct date of birth in the appropriate field. If you’ve already filed, you will need to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X with your correct date of birth.


  • You cannot file an amended return until the IRS has received and accepted your original return and you've received your refund or your check has cleared, if you owed taxes.