How to Cash in Stock Certificates After a Death in a Family

by W D Adkins
Ownership must be transferred before inherited stocks can be cashed in.

Most shares of stock are held in electronic form these days, but there are still quite a few paper stock certificates around. After a death in the family, ownership of the shares must be transferred to a beneficiary before they can be cashed in. Stock certificates are registered with the transfer agent that handles securities transactions for the company that issued the stock. If you are the person who inherited the stock, how you handle transferring ownership and selling the shares depends on whether the shares have to go through probate.

Contact the transfer agent for the company that issued the stock. You can find the transfer agent on the company’s investor relations website or by calling the department of shareholders’ services. Ask if the stock was held in one person’s name with a stated transfer-on-death beneficiary or if the shares were held jointly with right of survivorship. In either case you, as heir, can transfer ownership yourself. If the stock was registered in another manner, it must go through probate and the executor of the estate will handle the transfer of ownership. When stock must go through probate, give the stock certificates to the executor. She’ll need them to change the ownership registration.

Gather the required documents if you can transfer ownership yourself. You’ll need a transfer of ownership form from the transfer agent, a certified copy of the death certificate and personal identification. If you cannot transfer ownership yourself, an executor also needs a certificate of authorization from the probate court and a copy of the will or a court document identifying the person entitled to receive the shares.

Take the stock certificates and the documents to a financial institution such as a bank or brokerage firm that participates in the Medallion Stamp Program. An authorized bank official must witness your signature on the transfer of ownership form and on the stock certificates. He will provide a Medallion Signature Guarantee verifying your signature. Do not have these documents notarized. Transfer agents generally will not accept a notary stamp as a substitute for the Medallion Signature Guarantee.

Send the stock certificates, Medallion Signature Guarantee and other documents to the address supplied by the transfer agent. To be safe, use certified mail and insure the package. Ask for a return receipt verifying the transfer agent received the package.

Wait until the transfer agent notifies you the transfer of ownership has been processed. Then all you need to do is call the transfer agent and place a sell order for the shares. You will be credited with the sale proceeds.

About the Author

Based in Atlanta, Georgia, W D Adkins has been writing professionally since 2008. He writes about business, personal finance and careers. Adkins holds master's degrees in history and sociology from Georgia State University. He became a member of the Society of Professional Journalists in 2009.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images